From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 2015 15:47:47 +0000

> On Aug 30, 2015, at 9:07 AM, Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So how do you define it?  She took bees and sent them to a lab,  says they come back 89% non European,  What the Bleep does that mean??

I encountered a hive last summer that was outright vicious, ferocious. I “depopulated” the hive myself, since they were a danger to everyone around it. I sent a sample to Tuscon, the results took months to come back. I had to phone several times. Evidently, they don’t want to do non-governmental samples. Anyway, they came back “European.” They were from Texas so I know damn well they weren’t pure European by a long shot. So, I could have legally kept them. In NY they have to be confirmed by a lab, before they can be declared “Africanized.” The tests they use do not reliably discern hybrids.

Oldroyd and all write:

> Currently, there is no reliable low-cost genetic test for detecting Africanized honeybees available. However, Whitfield et al. (2006) were able to clearly distinguish between Africanized honeybees and managed European-derived honeybees using 1136 SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms), suggesting that it should be possible to develop a low-cost SNP test suitable for use by industry and biosecurity officials.

> Such tests have been successfully developed to differentiate breeds of swine (Ramos et al. 2011; Wilkinson et al. 2012), cattle (Negrini et al. 2009; Dimauro et al. 2013; Gurgul et al. 2013; Mancini et al. 2014), sheep (Heaton et al. 2014) and salmon (Freamo et al. 2011) and to track introgression of domesticated breeds into wild boar (Goedbloed et al. 2013) and wild salmon (Karlson et al. 2011) populations.

Chapman, N. C., Harpur, B. A., Lim, J., Rinderer, T. E., Allsopp, M. H., Zayed, A., & Oldroyd, B. P. (2015). A SNP test to identify Africanized honeybees via proportion of ‘African’ ancestry. Molecular ecology resources.