From:
johan calis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 10:01:57 +0100
\US Magazin Science published in 1989 a report prepared by a french
\scientist group working in Labs for neurobiology in Bures-sur-Yvette. As
\explained in the report they use Ethylpalmitat and Methyllinolenat as
\active substances to allure varoa into a trap and subsequently eliminate
\them from the hive.
\The cheap and undengerous (for bees and human) substance, its
\uncomplicated application looked very attractive and promissing.
\Since then I never heared any further news on development of this
\approach to get ride of varoa.Does somebody of the BEELIST community has
\perhaps more up-to-dayt or fresh info?

Dear Ivo Jakop,

Le Conte et al. found and effect of these esters on mites in an olfactometer,
which does not mean that mites when on the back of a bee in the odour jungle
of the bee-hive react as everybody would hope. Our group studied in a colony
the mite's rate of brood cell invasion, or the attractiveness of brood cells,
comparing methylpalmitate treated brood cells with untreated brood cells and
we could find no difference, the invasion of the mites could be monitored
through transparent comb-foundation (W. J. Boot et al, in press Experimental
and Applied Acarology).