From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 20:37:28 +0000
>      In the past week I have seen several references to a survey
>      done that stated that the average beekeeper gets stung 500
>      times a year.  Anyone want to verify this or laugh at it?

Beekeepers (professionals at least) don't think very much about bee
stings - other than in the face  - or on other non-involved people
and objects.

I don't know any serious beekeeper who could even estimate how many
stings he has received in a year.

Many days I don't get stung at all, even not wearing protection, but
other days a hundred stings or more is not unusual.

There are different degrees of stings - from 'nicks' to 'stabs'.  The
routine stings on the hand or wrist are pretty mild and generally
ignored.

Sometimes the bees are really ready to sting and those stings really
hurt.  At time like that careful smoking is in order - as much for
passersby and livestock as for the beekeeper.  Or the bees are best
left alone.

500 stings wouldn't last me a week - some weeks.

:)

Allen
W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                  VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
Honey, Futures,and Art <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>