Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:05:19 -0400
>> IMO, if a bait hive is used near the yard, it is being used in the
>> wrong manner.  bees seldom select a void closer than 300 m
>> (Seeley, Morse)

Well, IMO, there is no right or wrong in this.

There are reasons for placing bait hives where we place them, and local
circumstances will affect where they can be placed, or not.

Local conditions will also determine whether there are competing and
attractive locations or not.  In some areas, there is virtually no other
option beyond other than what a beekeeper leaves out, or places.

Sometimes, bees will swarm into empty hives in a yard if they are
left sitting empty or dwindling and a beekeeper may not even realise
that it happened.

Empty equipment, no matter where it is left is likely to attract a swarm,
but there is no denying that some distances and locations are better
than others.

No matter where it is places, any bait hive is better than none and if a
beekeeper cannot find a place at optimal distance and direction, that
is no reason not to place bait hives where it is feasible and not likely to
cause trouble.

Bait hives work.

Now, I want to know, but I doubt anyone can determine this, is whether
an abundance of good nest cavities nearby encourages swarming.

(Nearby is a vague and relative term and in my usage includes any
distance from zero to a mile or so).