Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:53:31 GMT
From: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>

...they do not pick the size on the basis of how much room there is for honey per se, but more likely on the basis of the average size that a colony needs for an average size nest, one that offers adequate protection from predators and the weather.

This seems a bit circular...the average size nest is determined by what sizes nests are...it tells us nothing about _why_ they choose that size.  I think the ability to build up to swarm early enough is probably very high on the list of "why".

>> Now, why do beekeepers...have late swarms that have no chance of survival?

>Maybe they think it is spring....(This is wild speculation on my part, something I can do as well as anyone).

...my "wild speculation" would be that the bees have been trying to swarm ALL FREAKING SEASON, and have been stopped at every turn by the beekeeper who inspects every two weeks for queen cells, opens the broodnest constantly, expanding the broodnest and honey storage area, removes combs, adds foundation (or empty frames), and feeds at every dearth, splits, etc.  None of this prevents swarming, it just delays it...at least until sometime late in fall or early winter (at least around here) when their primary motivation is to prepare for winter.

>late swarms often force their way into colonies, essentially getting their winter supplies for free. I have no idea how often this happens.

...me neither, but remember that we recently talked about swarms taking over colonies in commercial bee yards as not being terribly uncommon.  Again, we've seen it in our backyard in August (documented in the Swedish Beekeeping Journal).

deknow