From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 19:12:28 -0600

"Beekeepers have done pretty well without a lot of meddeling for decades"

...  though there has certainly been meddling in the past. Big government
makes its living by picking winners and losers; beekeepers in the US were
winners during the Depression and WWII, when we were exempted from sugar
rationing and subsidized for our beeswax. These facts are ignored by folks
who like to pick 1945 as the baseline for honeybee declines.

"Look at the Dairy industry they wanted to save in the 80's......"

Well put, Charles. Consumers in the US and Europe have overpaid for milk
since long before then, and farmers dump milk in the streets in protest of
every attempt to rein in the subsidies. I'm not predicting that we'll
eventually be clogging Washington's sewers with beeswax, but do we really
want to be perceived as another interest group begging for earmarks?

Eugene Makovec
Missouri USA