Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:41:46 EST
I know nothing about Nosema ceranae beyond what has appeared on this list  in
the last couple of days, however, on the possibly incorrect assumption that
it is very similar in cause and effect to Nosema apis, I am wondering why it
is  a problem where it is a problem.

The spores are carried in the faeces of the bee and, although being
afflicted by nosema may bring on an urgent need in a bee to void her faeces, she  will
still do so outside the hive if at all possible. In northern climes this is
not always possible during the winter months and so the combs and woodwork
become contaminated with spores that the bees can clean up only with their
tongues and so the cycle is repeated.

But my assumption would be that in Spain and Italy the periods of  non-flying
weather would be very short indeed and so there should be little
contamination within the hive.  So how is Nosema ceranae different?   Maybe it isn't the
real problem after all.

Here in the UK Nosema apis is endemic at low levels.  If you look for  it you
will probably find it in every hive, but with normal good husbandry it  isn't
a problem. I last used Fumidil about 25 years ago and don't know whether  it
is still available here. I do renew comb from time to time and am trying to
increase the frequency of this.  Combs that are going to be re-used are  given
the acetic acid treatment.

Will this be enough if/when Nosema ceranae gets here?

Chris