Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 16:11:37 -0400
Mold on stored comb, the black coating that collects in syrup containers and
what might  grow on bee bread have always concerned me.  Humidity control in
hive must be in delicate balance to control mold in such a warm environment?

Is there a relatively constant background of aflatoxins in bee hives and
cycled wooden ware?  Does this background level have a threshold when
exceeded account for hive death?

But how might this insight relate to diagnostic significance, relative to
individual colony death, especially in winter? Is it significant as a
differential diagnosis and if so couldn't simple examination of smears and
scrapings help identify cause and effect?

Storing spare wooden ware including drawn comb with just a few menthol beads
seems to work well in my small out door closet - no extra ventilation or
temp. control.

DC