Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:21:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
David Adams commented about swarming pressure being absent in most queen stock and also about a better hygienic test. 

I joined the Russian Bee Breeders Association this year and have been keeping them for 3 seasons now. They have more propensity to swarm then most CA stock. While they are not completely resistant to varroa I hardly ever see any chalkbrood or foulbrood.  

Also check out OCT 2009 ABJ issue for Marla Spivak's paper on hygienic stock and how to test for on page 966. SHe is advocating that any stock be certified hygienic regardless of its origins.  With some sort of grant she is giving her time to a number of high profile queen producers in CA last year and again this coming spring to help them identify hygienic stock in their operations.  I think its a great idea and her work may play a significant role in improving the traits of a large number of queens being shipped annually.  I can't think of anything really that anyone has done recently that could potentially positively affect the industry on such a grand scale. 

In my view the idea that neonics are the honeybee bogeyman is similar to the other crazy unsubstantiated ideas you can see on the Glenn Beck show. 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2