From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2013 23:43:57 -0500
>> Fumagillin is a substance derived from
>> the fungus A. fumigatus. Can we
>> consider this a natural product?

> As it is derived (i.e. there is a manufacturing
> process involved) then probably not in my view.

Let's be specific here.  One grinds the fungus up into a powder, and then
mixes the powder with an inert carrier to make a product that can be
measured out in hive-realistic doses without the need for a 0.1-gram
precision jeweler's scale.  That's it.

I know this because years ago, when the fine folks at Mid-Con decided that
they no longer wanted to put up with the harassment to which the EPA was
subjecting them over the "label" for Fumadil-B, I did my due diligence
pursuant to buying the business, and looked at what it would take to get the
fungus growing in the USA, rather than being dependent on the Indian source.
I knew that stored grain and silage can often be affected by the Aspergillus
fumigatus, which is extremely bad for cows in large doses as found in "moldy
feed", sometimes even fatal, but this is exactly what one needs for
Fumagillin.  I did not enter the business because the regulatory costs and
risks were too high, so now we have to import it from Canada at caviar
prices.  Thanks, EPA!

But if grinding and mixing is a "manufacturing process", then how do we
explain the use of a Cowen uncapper and Maxant extractor to get pure natural
honey out of the combs and into a jar?  We need to avoid painting ourselves
into the sort of cognitive corner in which words lose their meanings
entirely.

So, if it had a natural origin (like honey), and all you do is repackage it
for use (extracting and bottling honey, or grinding and mixing Fumagillin,
putting up fruit into canning jars, and so on) then the end product should
darn well be called "natural" under any definition of the term.