From:
Stewart Beattie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 06:24:56 +0000
On Sat 28 Jun, Robert A. Roach wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am designing a bee display for the County Fair in August and I hope some of you can
> tell me where to get some bee materials.  I'd especially like to find some paper bees,
>  the kind that fold out like an accordion to form a 3-dimensional
> bee that can be suspended from above.  I have a few but I don't know where to get more
> .  Paper flowers are also desired, but we can make those if need be.  Any other bee ar
> ts and craft ideas and suppliers of same are needed.
>
> In the past I have had an observation hive (always popular), lots of bee pictures, hiv
> e products and equipment and a display on the Africanized honey bee.  This year I'm th
> inking of a theme like "Insect Friends of Agriculture" with emphas
> is on the honey bee.
>
> Bob Roach

  As I write this the floor area is covered with about 50 paper bees ready for the display
at Lakeland Rose Show. see web page http://homepage.zynet.co.uk/bashabee/Rose97.html

   The basic paper bee starts life as the cardboard inertube of tissue roll.
At the larva stage  receives yellow and black colour stripes. Then is sealed with tissue
a card face usually with a smile and wings. Before emerging legs are added.  Some even
 have four legs?
The bees spend their life buzzing from the end of cords in our marquee tent. Their life span
finishes at the end of the show when the kids take off with them.
The species  appears again the next year when queen bee makes some more.

Suggest if you ask a local school to run a project on beekeeping and ask for the kids to
make bees you will end up with the funniest swarm you have ever seen.

The Furness Beekeepers  have an observation hive. It is always crowded, at times with two
beekeepers talking to the visitors.

All the best for your show
 Stewart
Cumbria, UK. (an old Gable-Endie)