From:
Chuck Wettergreen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 05:54:29 -0500
Hello from Chicago. New soon-to-be beekeeper here, when my bees arrive
on
April 24th.

I've been reading with interest the use of Imidacloprid on potato
crops and the
problems associated with its use.

The city of Chicago has had a 2-3 year problem with an Asian longhorn
beetle infestation
of hardwood trees. The beetle apparently arrived on some untreated
packing crate
material from China. The city has cut down thousands of trees in the
past couple of years
in an attempt to stop the infestation.

Until recently there was no known insecticide which would kill the
beetle. However just recently
I read that they had found that Imidacloprid was "75% effective"
against the Asian longhorn beetle.
The city is undertaking a massive treatment program to try and contain
the outbreak What effect
this will have on Chicago and near-suburban beekeepers I don't know.
I'm just happy that I live far
west of the city.

Just a data point.

Chuck Wettergreen