From:
Meghan Milbrath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2017 09:35:47 -0500

> I did some research on this last year while writing up our guidelines for
> beekeepers in our state.   I spoke to people at the federal level, and got
> an okay that the info in our document is at least correct for now:

https://pollinators.msu.edu/resources/beekeepers/michigan-beekeeping-rules-and-regulations/
Organic Honey

If you want to claim that your honey is organic, it *must* be certified.
If you are not certified organic, you must not make any organic claim on
the principal display panel or use the USDA organic seal anywhere on the
package, or you can be fined.  If you are interested in becoming a
certified organic operation, you will have to be certified by an accredited
certifying agent. The USDA outlines the certification process
<https://www.ams.usda.gov/services/organic-certification/faq-becoming-certified>
and
maintains lists of USDA-Authorized Organic Certifying Agents
<https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/OrganicCertifyingAgentsbyState.pdf>.
Agents can also be found through the NOP database of certified operations
<http://apps.ams.usda.gov/nop/> by searching “honey” in the
“Products-Produced” field.
As of 2016, organic honey regulations are in transition, and the status is
a bit confusing.  The Agricultural Marketing Service of the USDA has issued
a written statement affirming that apicultural operations may be certified
as organic.  Currently certifying agents adapt the USDA organic regulations
for the scope of livestock production
<https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/10%20Guide%20to%20Transitional%20Farming%20FINAL%20RGK%20V2.pdf>
 (sections 205.236 – 205.240).  In addition, they refer to the recommendations
from the National Organic Standards Board
<https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/NOP%20Livestock%20Final%20Rec%20Apiculture.pdf>
 regarding organic honey production, which includes parameters specific to
beekeeping, such as foraging areas, supplemental feed, and hive
construction.  These recommendations have not yet been adopted by the
National Organic Program, but there is a drafted proposed rule that
recommends the addition of apiculture-specific practice standards to the
USDA organic regulations.  A conservative estimate for the publication of a
final rule would probably be late 2017.