From:
richard drutchas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:11:11 -0400
Funny you guys should be talking about this I am now in the middle of what
could be a huge die off. We took off a poor crop in August and slapped on
the new mite strips. The mites where under control, nice populations going
into the fall. Not much of a fall flow to speak of, it just didn't happen. I
looks like the summer bees have died but still bees all the way across and
the drones are being corralled and kicked out. Now the scary part is that I
start looking into some hives and I'm not seeing any new brood and no eggs.
I think maybe the acid killed my queens so I dig in and I'm finding small
queens running around aimlessly looking like they haven't been fed for a
month. A new beekeeper down the road who hadn't treated calls me for some
queens. Not seeing eggs she thinks she is queenless. Same thing small shut
down queens, so it wasn't the acid but the season. I fed and slapped on some
pollen sub. We've had a warm fall with a late frost but I don't think those
queens will do it. Anybody else finding the same thing?