Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:39:07 GMT
>I can think of many better ways such as the tunnel under the border with a
warehouse on the U.S. side recently found in California.

Getting drugs across the border on truck is SO much more efficient/cheaper than tunneling.  You could not push the volume of drugs that enter the US through tunnels.  The cartels have inside people with certified shipment companies on the Mexican side.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2009-11-23-truckers-smuggling_N.htm

Semis with hundreds of hives could be certified in the same (flawed) way.  You can bet your bottom dollar, border patrol folks would be even less inclined to spot check semis with hives.  Can you picture customs and border agents going from hive to hive with a smoker?  I don't.

>>The *possibility* of drugs being shipped in is not enough of a reason to
prevent the import.

This is no hypothesis.  We are talking the realities on the ground today.  Trucking is getting drugs into US from Mexico.  It's a wonder terrorists have not smuggled people & weapons into the US the same way.

>>As of now the hives would need transferred within fifty miles of the border
with current rules on Mexican trucks and drivers. The Teamsters union is
putting up a good battle. I was a member of the Teamsters Union local 41 in
Kansas City for 31 years.

From the drugs perspective, it's irrelevant where the hand-off takes place or who does the driving as drug cartels have inside people in the certified shipment companies placing drugs in the trucks.  They could as easily penetrate the Mexican beekeepers, through money & intimidation, who would be loading hives for the US.

>>The reality is that myself and lawyers which have looked at the issue have
not come up with a valid reason why the border would not open if U.S. crop
pollination was at stake.

Drugs aside, new pests & diseases should be considered.  And why add more Africanized genetics to the US pool even though Mexico has some selection programs for 'gentleness with smoke'?

Moreover, hasn't NAFTA and the so-called free trade done enough damage to the US economy?  Does anyone care about this country?

My opinion.

Waldemar