Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 1980 21:42:06 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
Hello All,

Well we finally have had some nice weather here in Eastern Ontario. It hit 10C (50F) today so I went to check  the girls.  I found 1 dead, 1 weak, the rest fine.  I checked the dead out.  I found that the honey had crystallized and the bees seem to be clustered in the empty area. There was no brood to be found and I couldn't spot any eggs. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary, it looked as if they would just start walking about.  There was no foul odor.  My guess is they either couldn't use the crystallized honey and starved or a cold snap hit and they couldn't move to the honey and starved. I made up some fondant and placed it in the hive next to the cluster on the weak hive.  I've always used Carniolans and never had a problem over wintering.  However, last year the queens arrived in terrible condition and they were all superceded.  I tried to requeen one again and they would have no part of it.  This was the hive that died.  I can't seem to find anyone in Ontario who is raising Carnie queens.  Especially ones who have been involved in the Hygienic Testing and  Mite Resistance Testing programs. Anyway I hope spring comes soon.

Kent Stienburg

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2