From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 14:42:47 -0500
> I assume that if one obtains a copy of a study that one can legally allow others to read it.  There must be some limit to that right, but where is the line drawn?

No, unless you stop by my house and read it there. Most of the restricted access papers specifically forbid sharing or reproduction. They have download dates and addresses stamped right on them.

Normally, you can quote very short excerpts from copyrighted works for "review purposes" and one assumes that the abstracts are fair game.

Most of what I am alerted to is provided to me be "Google Alerts". You can design alerts that notify you when the key words you specify are mentioned in a publication.

These have to be well designed to be specific enough to avoid a deluge but broad enough to be useful. Most generally, these alerts link directly to abstracts and occasionally to Open Access publications.

PLB