Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:01:03 +0000
Can anyone help Julia (please reply direct to her and NOT to this
list):

Date:          Sun, 11 Oct 1998 23:15:20 -0700
From:          Steven LeVan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:       Mail from WWW

I have a question.  My grandmother has a pear tree behind
her house and there are two distinct types of bees feasting on the
pears.  We live in northwestern PA near Erie.  The first type of bee is
a ground dwelling type of yellow jacket looking bee.  The second type
does not resemble any bee I have ever seen before.  It is about an inch
to an inch and a half long.  It has a yellow abdomen that is very bright
in color and is rougly an quarter to a half inch wide.  The head, legs
and wings appear red.  Does anyone there have any idea what type of bee
or related insect this could be?  If so, please let me know.  It is a
really strange looking bee.  Thanks, Julia LeVan