From:
Joel Klose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:25:56 -0500
Hi Dick and memebers,
   Before I began using HFCS 55  I did some research on the use and
effect.  I don't know if it relevant to the current problem as I know
little about the resulting products.  A couple of items of interest were:

1) HFCS is produced by 2 different processes, one being enzyme process and
the other being acid process.

2) Beekeepers using HFCS are advised to use only enzyme process.

3) Beekeepers using HFCS (anecdotal) noted a slightly higher mortality rate
following the introuduction of HFCS 55.

I did not investigate the processes in any depth but I would deduce it
involves the catlayst for extracting corn syrup being either an enzyme or
acid and it would seem to lead to the conclusion the acid process would
have a higer acid content?

Has anyone considered or is it likely there has been a mix up in product at
either packaging or labeling or perhaps in some type of mixing that could
result in such a high acid content?

Wouldn't there be clear symptoms of acid impacting the bees on a notable
level (increased mortality) very shortly after feeding if this was a
contrubuting factor to CCD?

Best Regards,
Joel