From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:13:12 -0400
Some have asked me the reason for my reference to africanized bees being
present in the Northeast.
 In 2004 I was told by two migratory beekeepers with homes (and summer
locations) nearby (Albany, New York) that they were reasonably sure they had
encountered africanized bees during the winter of 20003-2004 while in
Florida, and that they almost surely brought some back to New York. I didn't
pay a lot of attention.
 During the winter of 2004-2005 the Florida Beekeeping List had lots of
complaints of hives that were out of control. Early on I asked the powers
that be in Florida whether than meant that africanized bees were being found
and it was emphatically and quickly denied. So quick was the response that I
wondered if it had been rehearsed in anticipation of the question...and the
effect on tourism.
 We all know that in early spring (after the winter tourist season) Florida
finally admitted widespread africanization and, as you all know, this does
not happen overnight!
 Well, the same two migratory guys are still here. One winters about 400
hives (and treats with sheep dip) and splits them four ways in the spring
for pumpkin pollination near here. (On a per acre basis, pumpkins are one of
NYS's most profitable crops.) He reports widespread africanization of his
hives this year. I was picking raspberries about 50 yards from his hives in
July and was suddenly attacked by a cloud of bees. I've never seen anything
like it. No one was near the hives, or nearer than I was. AFAIK, they were
completely unprovoked. I counted 37 stings on my arms, hands and face, and
had a further number on my head. And this was in the 2 or so minutes it took
me to get to my truck!
 They eventually had to close the pick-your-own raspberry operation and the
pollinator killed four (out of 20) hives. The property owners told me that
next year they will find another pollinator.
 So, this is anecdotal information. But I, for one, believe they were
africanized bees and now that Florida is confirmed as being 'widely
infected', I don't see how we can expect to avoid similar infestation, at
least during the summer.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.