From:
Albert W Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 21:54:55 EST
On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 15:52:44 -1000 Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>To avoid any confusion there is no honey being made from any sugar
>cane stumps in Hawaii.

Hi Walter:

I am truly "not picking on you", but actually how can anyone tell
* with 99.9% certainty * where their bees are getting whatever they
collect?

Yes, I am aware that at times only certain things are in bloom,   and I
suppose one can assume that when Dandelions (or whatever is in bloom)
are
blooming in profusion within range of one's hives, that the major portion
of
nectar coming in is from those dandelions (or whatever). But, I don't see
how
anyone can say whatever else is or is not mixed in with that nectar. And
yes,
I know the flavor/taste can change in accordance with the mass blooming
of anything in a given area at specific times.

So, it seems to me that cut sugar cane stumps, at a certain point in
time, must
seep something sweet that some bees may be attracted to same.

Obviously, your bees are only collecting in Hawaii, [ unless you are fast
overnite
freighting them into New Zealand and back under cover of darkness :-) ]
and I am sure
that your honey most likely has its own unique flavor/taste that cannot
be found anywhere
else, due to the unique mix of flora that is peculiar to Hawaii.

Just some thoughts spawned by your message.

Al
---
Al Needham--Scituate,MA,[log in to unmask]
"The HoneyBee"--An Educational Program About Honey
Bees With A Superb Slide Show-Version 2.0 (c) 1997
Download From: http://www.kuai.se/~beeman