From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:11:51 +0100

Quite right, Bob,

In hot conditions (ie above 77 ºF) we have been recommending 2 x 25g
Apiguard and possibly 3 x 25g for high infestation levels. This was shown by
studies run by Frank Eischen and by Eric Mussen. Also borne out by our
earlier experience using Apiguard in hot countries such as Morocco, Algeria,
Southern Italy and France; at higher temperatures a 2 or 3 x 25g regime with
Apiguard can give the same high efficacy results as with a 2 x 50g dosing.
So no point in using a higher dose – less cost and better for the bees. We
recommend to switch the dosing according to the temperature and we have this
in our FAQ sheet. Label amendment is with the EPA.

The scoop is slightly oversized; shouldn’t be, as we buy it as an
off-the-shelf item and is supposed to deliver the exact dose. We are looking
for alternatives at the moment. The slight overdosing shouldn’t affect the
bees but at high temperatures, the dose should in any case be reduced to 25g
(roughly half a scoop) per colony.

All the best,

Max

Dr Max Watkins

Director

Vita (Europe) Limited

21/23 Wote Street

Basingstoke

Hampshire RG21 7NE

UK

Tel.:   +44 (0)1256 473 177     Fax:   +44 (0)1256 473 179

Mobile: +44 (0) 7767 815 370

e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

web: http://www.vita-europe.com

Skype: maxwatkins

Registered office (not for mail):

Scarfe House, 15 Archery Fields, Odiham, Hants RG29 1AE, UK

Registered under Company Number 3328943

VAT Number: GB688 9774 37