Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 12:25:12 EDT
South Eastern CT USA

20% losses
1/2 the hives treated with apistan by 1 September the rest later to catch the
fall flow.
No treatment for tracheal mites just selecting from the survivors.
Due to the heat and drought the hives went into winter in smaller clusters.
Much of my losses occurred right around 20 Jan when the temps went from 60
deg to 5 deg overnight.  I found deadouts with 2 small clusters inside
instead of one big one.
2 of the hives were kind of wimpy and because I couldn't determine the cause
I did not combine them with good hives and they died out.
This year I will have 1/2 the hives treated for varroa by 15 Aug and am going
to try the formic gel packs.
First apple blossom opened today.