From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2014 17:52:02 +0800
Mike in LA asked :-

"How many of you out there are trying to raise hygienic queens for your own use?  How do you test your queens for the hygienic trait?  Are you finding a difference between hygienic traits for disease and hygienic traits for varroa control?"

I raise queens from stock which has been tested for hygienic behaviour using the 3 groups of 7 cells (21 cells) pinprick method. Only colonies testing 21/21 in 8 hours or less is used for grafting or drones production. Since varroa are not present here in Western Australia I cannot comment on the impact on Varroa control. However it has had a hugely beneficial impact on the incidence of chalkbrood, sacbrood and American Brood Disease in my outfit.

The method is very simple and was passed on to me by a beekeeping colleague in New Zealand, so presumably it is used there. I know of a few other beeks who use it here, but who are not on Bee-L.

It really is so simple, and the benefits of applying this selection criterion are so great, that I really cannot understand why all beekeepers raising their own queens, and those wanting to confirm the hygienic status of the queens they purchase, do not use it.

PeterD
in Western Australia, making the most of a spell of mild weather as a break from the normally very hot weather at this time of year. Hopefully the bees are too.