From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:20:05 -0500
Bill said "The reports in the west (where you are), which were the
original ones, seem to have no common base, including Varroa, but there
was a drought which may have muddied the water. If there is something
that causes CCD, the answer is in the west, not the east."

Today I heard from a guy who runs close to 1,000 colonies in central Idaho.
This fall he reports a loss of 50% because of CCD.  For past few
years varroa was treated successfully with Peppermint Oil (the real stuff,
as it is grown in the area) and Apistan (?).  This year they went through a
terrific drought and nothing worked.

Sounds like his fall losses might be classic Varroa, but he said "CCD", and
from 3,000+ miles away I was not about to question him further.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.