From:
Steve Petrilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2015 15:13:37 -0400
Just noticed something for the first time here in Central Illinois.   Two days ago, I noticed two of the colonies in my back yard had ejected the contents of pollen baskets out in front of the hives.   The pollen had apparently never made it to be stored in any cells.   It it is still in the tear drop somewhat flat and rounded shape it would be if it were still attached to the legs of the forager.

I have a small 2 by 2 foot board in front of the colonies and these pollen pellets where about 1 foot from the front of the hives.

Today, I noticed it with a couple other colonies in another bee yard as well.  It is not occurring with all colonies, only a few in each bee yard and the bee yards are at least 5 miles (as the bee flies) from each other.

It is lime green to a light yellow in color.   I am guessing it is Box elder, Maple, Hawthorn or Hazel.  It is too early for any fruit trees such as Apple to be blooming around here (in fact I just did some Apple scion wood grafts to some dwarf root stock a few days ago).

Any one have any suggestions or idea why the bees are rejecting the pollen the foragers are bringing in?  I searched the forum before I posted this message and did not find any others mentioning the rejection of pollen basket contents.

Despite the date, this is not an April Fools Day joke.

Thanks

Steve Petrilli,  Central Illinois