From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2018 11:07:36 -0400

>Good luck with that. The editors pick and choose what goes in.
PLBAnd the Editor sets the Branding of the publication.  Each has her/hi  own idea of the market niche that is going to be addressed.  If the article fits that model, it's got a chance at being published.  If not, it's not going to see the light of day.The other - ABJ, Bee Culture, the Speedy Bee all reached a small, specialty crop audience.  The general public didn't even know that they existed.  Then CCD and the media made headlines with bees.  Documentaries took up the cause - trending now, Save the Bees.Bee Culture  and ABJ took off.  Suddenly one could buy them at Barnes and Noble!  I'm glad that Kim  and Joe were around to see it happen.  Kim was quicker to adapt to on-line.  Joe was more traditional.  Both publications started as a service/product associated with a bee supply company.  A.I. Root now focuses on candles and the Bee Culture family of publications.  It no longer sells general bee equipment.  ABJ is part of Dadant.I imagine that neither publication was ever much of a money maker until after 2006.  When Joe retired, I'm guessing the Dadant folks saw an opportunity and a need to update to modern communication formats - online, wider audience, etc.   Under Joe, ABJ was somewhat of an extension/research findings hybrid.  A bit of entertainment, but also some timely and informative research reports.  It was a bit of a bridge between general information and hard core academic journals - a place where applied research of use to beekeepers could be published in a format readable by an 'informed' audience.The digital age has shaken things up.  Newspapers and print magazines often struggle.  From a business perspective, any company that sells bee equipment and products is going to want to make money - and I'm guessing that the technical articles aren't what draws in new readers.All of this is why in our online courses, at the second level, we introduce all of our students to peer-reviewed publications, how to access them, get around pay walls, read and assess.  Predictably, there's a lot of grumbling - they're not fun to read, even harder to evaluate.  But they learn that they can do it - and they learn that even peer-reviewed articles are subject to politics, game playing, and not all are of equal quality.  And then many get mad - because they see that they've been hood-winked by the popular media. Then, in the third level, they do their own research projects, and they get a new eye-opening experience - and they do a surprisingly good job.These are the Bee-L participants of the future - you've got several on Bee-L these days.   Slowly, one by one, we're developing a new audience, just as Bee-L built it's audience that is very different than that of Bee Source.  Not all want the Cliff's Notes, dumbed-down version.  They want to be challenged.  First level, most complain.  Second level they get into Bee-L type discussions - but with everyone, not just a few, entering into the discussions.  Third level and by the time the course ends, they want to continue to talk with their new friends in a like-minded community.  They survived the challenges; they're proud of it; and they want more.