From:
"C.R. Crowell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:39:00 -0400
I had 4 hives on a local farm where the farmer called to complain that his workers
were being stung. It would appear this problem began just before I pulled supers
off the hives, and continued after the wet extracted supers were replaced.  I pulled
the supers on a Wednesday, which was the first day I heard the complaint.  I replaced
the wet supers that evening, but the behavior continued.

Approaching the bee yard I would get a group of at least a half dozen bees attempting
to sting my bee suit, or buzzing about the veil. These bees would continue attacking
as I retreated.  The farm workers were stung much farther from the hives, about
fifty yards or so.

No signs of skunk, opossum, or raccoon damage.  No animal scat, bee carcasses, or
other evidence of critters.  Of the 4 hives only one had significant group of bees standing
on the bottom board entrance.  When I put a gloved hand into the entrance of each hive,
only this same hive showed an agressive response.  Opening the hive covers elicited no
differential response from any of the hives - bees did not "boil out".

Early in the morning I moved this one suspect hive to a more remote bee yard.  At noon
later that day I returned to the original yard, where the remaining 3 hives are busy working
pumpkins, I believe (lots of in and out activity, few guards).  I was not challenged or
approached by any bees, indicating that to my relief I had moved the right hive ( I did not
need a veil).

I expect to obtain a queen and requeen the hive as soon as I can.  The hive is full of bees,
who quickly boiled out after I unsealed the entrance after moving it.  Any tips on
requeening under these circumstances?

/C.Crowell
Hightstown, New Jersey