From:
STEPHEN RICE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2010 21:26:27 -0700
Hello all,
my partner and I are making new frames, using rough pine and scraps of whatever is lying around (which is a lot, because his people used to run a sawmill). I found quite a bit of cedar and was going to use it for sidebars, but he objected on the grounds that he'd never seen it used for hive equipment. I pointed out that we had a swarm in a hollow cedar tree in the woods two years ago. He replied that they didn't make it through the winter.
    I checked the archives and there isn't much there. Nothing really on cedar frames, and some comment about different areas, such as Scotland and England, that use hives made of cedar, along with a speculation about whether honey from cedar frames would taste of cedar.
Any thoughts'?

sr