From:
Tony Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:03:43 -0400
Dear Sirs,

  I would be very grateful for any information concerning the beekeeping of
Bejaia
  in Algeria, which used to be an important center of wax production during
the middle-ages (the French name "bougie" derives from Bejaia).

  What little I am from combing the web is that is made by the Kabyle
people within their
  mountains and then brought to the port of Bejaia to be sold to Europe.
Bejaia reached
  a peak of activity during the reign of the Almoravides and the Almohads,
in particular
  during the period of Leonardo de Pisa (better known as the mathematician
Fibonacci)
  who was part of a Pisan merchant colony stationed in Bejaia, around 1200
AD.

  That culture of Bejaia has been largely destroyed.  I am trying to find
out any information -
  any "secrets" about how the Kabyles raised their bees.

  My email address is:  [log in to unmask]

  Thanks in advance

  best wishes

  Tony Scott
  University of Paderborn