From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 08:03:46 -0700

> >I might be the only commercial beekeeper dumb enough to try and enlighten
> the FGMO, small cellers and the "removing ALL treatments for commercial
> apiaries" crowd.

You don't have to stand alone, Bob!  I fully support everything that you
said.  I, too, have yet to find a bee stock suitable for commercial
migratory use that can get by without any treatments.

However, I am counting on small beekeepers such as Kirk to lead us on the
way to developing those stocks!  In the meantime, thought, I feel that it is
counterproductive for small beekeepers to bash the commercial beekeepers.

BTW, Bob, may I commend you on an excellent article on moving bees and
pallet considerations!  I've personally been trying to palletize for years,
and have debated pallet designs over and over.  I found the points in your
article to be of immense practical value.

I noted that you mentioned our conversation about my moving--one point that
was left out was that if I let a load set overnight in anything but the
coldest weather, I set a lawn sprinkler of cold water running over the load
up until the minute that I start moving in the morning.

Another point is that I never move bees which have been seriously
manipulated the previous day--they haven't had time to settle down yet, and
are much more prone to overheat.

Randy Oliver