From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:53:08 -0500
Allen asks:
I'm wondering, why is that? ...and also, how can you *know* that you get 98%
kill by using any chemical, without either doing follow-up alcohol washes
before and after, or without doing natural drops after?

Good question!

I have been testing the strip for resistance by the bees tested and have
seen no resistance yet by both alcohol washes and natural mite fall. in fact
many hives in our group were treated this fall with the strip but not the
hives used in sucrose O. & Apilife Var testing.

We know the strip will drop a bunch of varroa if  either of the tested
treatments  did not provide a over 50% control.

The method I am using to test  these hives is commonly used by researchers
when a new product is tested.

One of the reasons I turned down an offer to test a new product for varroa
control being researched at the Tucson Bee lab by Diana Sammataro (as I
wrote about on BEE-L) was I was afraid due to other projects I would not be
able to devote the time to get the figures correct *like a researcher* would
and I was right.

Although I enjoy doing research I am a fulltime beekeeper  and testing comes
at my busy time of the year!

Testing for the Tucson project was by natural fall/sticky boards and at
certain times and all boards returned to Tucson for analysis.

*Chemical strips* were provided by the lab to be used to see if the
treatment worked and provide control in case the new product failed to
control varroa after testing was done.

I believe both Jerry Hayes (Dadant) and Diana Summataro (Tucson Bee lab)
appreciate the fact that if I felt the results of my testing were not
accurate I would say so and repeat the test from scratch.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Ps. still no resistance to Checkmite in Missouri bees.