From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 10:36:44 -0500
Greetings,
        Although I have never tried it near bees, I do know that most
muscle rubs contain synthetic wintergreen (methyl salicilate). You
can rub on as much as you like of that. Mine also has menthol in it,
which may also work as a repellent. Has anyone tried ordinary insect
repellents?

Adrian wrote:
        I suspect such compounds work in the same manner as how smoke
may work--- by hampering the odor sensing ability of bees for a short
while.

        Interesting. I have heard 3 theories about why smoke works. Either smoke makes the bees think the hive is on fire and they gorge on honey before fleeing, or somehow it breaks down the chemical communication systems, much like a terrible noise (like a jet plane) would effect human conversations. The third theory (my own) is that smoke affects bees like alcohol affects humans: it stupefies them and removes their inhibitions (causing them to gorge on honey).
        It should be noted that there are many situations when smoke
doesn't seem to work at all, like at night or when the bees are
already furious. And I understand that it does not effect all insects
in the same way.

        In Eva Crane's "Bees & Beekeeping" there is a list of plant
materials and their use as pacifiers or repellents. "Melissa
officinalis: rubbing the hands with the leaves is claimed to help in
preventing stings."

PB