Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:05:23 -0600
Is there any ratio of honey supers to brood boxes that would bee a target
for someone just accumulating equipment. I know you need just enough to
capture all the honey for your area, but in North Texas in an average year
is this 3 supers for hive 4 or what?

This is my third year I started out with two deeps and 10 mediums and there
was more than enough the second year I went to 5 deeps and 16 mediums and if
it hadn't been such a bad year it would not have been near enough I figure 4
would probably be enough but I am in a situation where I can spend some
extra income on supplies and would prefer not to get caught too short I plan
to go to about 10 deeps this year and will get 24 mediums. Which will give
me a ration of 4:1 I over winter with one deep and one med. Half of the
hives will be in my back yard so I can extract and replace if necessary.,
but the other half will be about 2 hours away.

I have checked what books I have and have never seen this addressed except
to say to have more supers than necessary.

Cliff