From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:05:25 -0700

> >Many organisms, arguably all, will put up with, and may even appear to
> prosper, under a chronic stress.  Then crash disastrously when an acute
> stress is added.

Hi Geoff,

Yes, I did observe coral bleaching and algal growth on the reef.

Re stress, this is a point that I try to make with bee nutrition--that we
may not recognize just how close colonies are to the "tip point" where they
may suddenly succumb to the secondary effects of protein deficit--namely
suppressed immune function and shortened lifespan.  When yet another stress,
such as miticide or pesticide is added, it may then be the straw that breaks
the camel's back.

Randy Oliver