From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 23:21:15 -0600
Jim

I don't know how to put this in an email without sounding condescending, but
I'm not trying to be.

If the best you have tried is Parmak and Zebra, then you really haven't used
a good fencer.  In the world of electric fencing, they're the only ones
telling you they're the best.  They are like buying an $100. watch instead
of a $20. one, when you're looking for a Rolex.  They have their place, but
shouldn't be viewed as top of the line.  I my opinion you need to go to the
experts. Companies that design a fencer to withstand a mob of sheep hitting
the line at same time, not just a single animal.  We try to train our bears
with a Gallagher or Speedrite fencer made in New Zealand and then put on a
Solar Parmak 6V or 12V.  Shooting a bear, just means another one will move
into the area and you start over.  Give them a good jolt to begin with and
as long as there is something ticking through the lines, they rarely
challenge it. The bonus is, boars especially will keep others out of their
territory.

I had a hired man who would check the Parmaks by gripping the wire, rather
carrying a fence tester.  A favorite trick was to grab the wire and then
touch somebody as they went by or were tying down the truck.  Once he didn't
realize that I had swapped out the Parmak for a Speedrite HB12, because the
former needed service.  Poor guy couldn't let go of the wire and wet himself
before his co-worker could stop laughing and turn off the fence.  He had no
strength in is upper body for the rest of the day.

With the limited day length up here in the spring and fall, we throw out the
Parmak batteries.  We have a place called Battery World that carries a
battery virtually the same size, but with twice the capacity.

Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB
Canada

Thankfully haven't caught a grizzly, but did get a coyote once that was more
afraid of the fence once he was inside than me.