From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2010 22:23:34 -0500
>If one goes to the trouble to introduce this trait into their operation
>shouldn't they also continue to develop it? I see it as a leg up tool to
>get from point A to ever changing.

Introducing genetics developed by those researching better bees is always a
good thing.

>Would there be some difficulties in tweaking this trait out further once
>introduced into ones own Apiary?

My own experience from  125  hives from two SMR breeder queens was the bees
handled varroa but did not store enough honey to survive the next winter.
Some of the smallest clusters i have ever seen. The brood patterns were half
holes ( shotgun pattern). Dr. Harbo said the reason (personal conversation)
was the bees were too
inbred (which is the way you highlight a trait). Later we found out the
reason later was the bees were too hygienic. Never really found out for
sure!

My experiments with varroa tolerant bees and Russian bees has been expensive
and eye opening.

We raised queens from the SMR  F3 and the varroa tolerance was fast going
away and the bees were returning to normal production.

Same happened when my Russian bees crossed with my Italians.

In my opinion a strict breeding program needs followed to maintain varroa
tolerance (or always buying queens)and trading the traits I love in my bees
for varroa tolerance is
at this time not worth the trade in my opinion.

bob