From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2012 14:03:50 -0400
When I say a thing is so, or say it is not so, what
evidence has the reader that it is proved or demonstrated?
My mere assertions are not expected to be
taken in preference to another's ; of such proof, we have
more than enough. Most people have not the time,
patienee, or ability, to set down quietly with close observation,
and investigate the subject thoroughly.

Hence it has been found easier-to receive error for
truth, than to make the exertion necessary to confute
it; the more so, because there is no guide to direct
the investigation. I shall, therefore, pursue a different
course; and for every assertion endeavor to give a
test, that the reader may apply and satisfy himself,
and trust to no one.

As for theories, I shall try to
keep them separate from facts, and offer such evidence
as I have, either for or against them. If the reader
has further proof that presents the matter in another
light, of course he will exercise the right to a difference
of opinion.  -- Moses Quinby, New York, 1853