From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2012 06:58:09 -0500
Bob said:
>> >Our subsoil moisture is gone.

Subsoil moisture is the key to length and drought extremes. I have finished
watching the weekend farm programs. "Ring of Fire" is the term used to
describe the next three weeks for the lower Midwest.
A possible break around state fair the first of August.

The drought of 1988 was very bad in our area and although records are close
our drought now will be much worse than 88 if runs another three weeks.

As I said in an earlier post the EPA is considering stopping millions of
bushels of corn headed for ethanol and back to food and feed. The "This
week in Agriculture" said the EPA will most likely start reducing the amount
of ethanol allowed in fuels back towards the 10% level in the U.S..

irrigated corn and beans look great in the Mississippi delta. Monsoon rains
in southwest have caused some migratory beeks to take hives west from
drought areas.

> What have others observed in other years?

I have kept bees through three severe drought cycles in Missouri but never
did the years in Kansas & Florida. I found droughts seem to run in two year
cycles with the second year being the worse.
Always ending with monsoon type rains.

The grass types today (fescue etc.) are better able to take severe drought
than in the "dust bowl" days of the thirties. If we had the grasses around
back then we would be seeing dust clouds now. The fescue is going dormant
but not dying and blowing out of the ground.

My hives are barely flying due to high heat and lack of blooming plants.
trying to keep the hives cool and really seem to be not taking down huge
amounts of the honey crop. Queens have really shut down so little pollen is
seen coming in. In my opinion the bees understand the situation.

Water from ponds for bees will be a concern in some locations if the drought
lasts.

The air full of bees is over and when supers are pulled two see the number
of bees in the hive has reduced considerable. Exactly what I want to see the
bees do.

Conserve and survive.

I have worked out 4 or 5 plans of action depending on the length of the
drought. I figure in a few weeks I will be fighting mud to feed bees.

The 100 year flood of" 93" in Missouri we were in a similar situation of
drought when we received 9 in. rain on a Wed. and 8 the next day. Water over
all the roads from our farm for hours. Impossible to enter bee yards with
vehicles for a couple weeks.

Many years of beekeeping have taught many lessons.

Plan ahead and expect the unexpected.

bob