From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 10:25:49 EST
In a message dated 98-02-15 09:54:08 EST, [log in to unmask] (Greg Zujus)
writes:

<< I am new to beekeeping and I am preparing A location for my apiary. The
site
 I have in mind for my Apiary is under a set of 3 high power lines. I have
 read that electro magnetic fields such as those created by high power lines
 affect the performance of honey bee hives. Does anyone have an opinion or
 experience on this ? Should I look for a new location ? >>

     Honeybees have tiny particles of iron oxide in their heads. These are
thought to be part of a sensing system to detect the earth's magnetic field
and orient by it. Certainly there is a good theoretical basis for interference
by power lines.

    I had a friend who kept a bee yard adjacent to a 765 KV line for a couple
years, and they did poorly. He moved the yard a half mile, and they became
productive.

    Anecdotal, to be sure, but enough indication that you take a gamble, if
you locate too close to one. I have a feeling that a line this large is
probably a barrier to bees which they will not cross, so consider this in
total forage area as well.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm