From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 18:14:28 -0700
Hi Tim and All on Bee-l

Tim, you wrote in reply to Erik's post to BioBee that was
generoursly posted here for all to read by bee-l:

Dee, wouldn't this be just another example of the data that
seems to be piling up for the continued existence of
pockets of Iberian bees brought by the Spanish? Seem's
rather clear to me. Florida, like the South West
was Spanish.

Reply:
Yes, data is piling up on differences that cannot be
overlooked, but where does it say Iberian? Also are Iberian
small and black. OUr bees were looked at for DNA and shown
years ago to be similar to caucasian, like the small black
bees in the hills of San Diego in the feral population. But
similar is not the same as BEING. Are Iberian like or
similar to caucasian? Many unanswered questions.

Yet mtDMA is getting better! Also no full scale
determination of what bees are in the Americas, both north
and south I don't think has ever been done of the feral
populations. Why?

Shall be an interesting future I think finding out maybe1

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby