From:
Mike Rowbottom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:02:36 +0000
>Here in England it is a very old treatment long since declared an illegal
>substance that is being introduced into the hive,
>Peter Dalby, Chairman BBKA Technical Committee.

Peter,

I don't disagree that Frow mixture should not be put into hives, but can
you clarify the phrase "long since declared an illegal substance"?  When
was it  declared illegal, and by whom?  There is presently a great deal
of confusion about the legal status of treatments for bee pests and
diseases in the UK; clear statements of fact are needed to assist
understanding in this area.

Incidentally, Yates and Yates, in their book "Beekeeping Study Notes"
published in 1996 and aimed at preparing candidates for the BBKA modular
examinations, give a detailed description of the formulation and
application of Frow mixture, including explicit information about where
nitrobenzene can be obtained in the UK!!

regards
--
Mike Rowbottom

HARROGATE