From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2010 09:49:55 -0600
I'd love to see state bee associations step up to the plate, organize sampling, and pay to have representative samples from each state analyzed - wouldn't that be a data set?    In my dreams, I'd get samples of  at least 5-6 bee operations per state, from end winter/spring, summer, and fall; and from all 50 states.  Using proteomics, we could identify, map, and benchmark the pathogens and pests all across the U.S., as well as in Hawaii, Puerto Rico.  Of course, I'd like to do the same for Canada and Mexico, but starting with the states would be good.

Jerry -

What kind of financial commitment would be required for a state association to by into your proposed program?  What kind of testing would you be suggesting?  Could the testing be used by the individual beekeepers to promote their colonies' health.  I think these points would be important in convincing beekeepers and associations to participate.

Larry Krengel