From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:56:00 -0500
I have been trapping pollen for 3-4 years and am curious about other
beekeepers experiences

I use the Sundance traps which work well. I am not able to put the trap
into bypass mode though as drones get caught inside and we end up
with a stinking mess of dead bees inside the trap.

Its no surprise that trapping pollen can be hard on a colony so I have
been moving towards trapping for 6 weeks and then removing the trap
for the rest of the season since bypass does not seem to work and
the work of re-installing the trap is well too much work.

I found if I trap for 3 months or more (live in central Mn) honey
production drops and several hives end up queenless. Surprisingly
though the "survivior" hives that have had traps on them for 3 months
or more appear to winter just as well as hives with no pollen traps.

My other management dillema is the drying of pollen. The health food
store pollen sold in the area looks and tastes like sawdust and I
suspect it originates from China. My customers like my pollen if I
freeze dry it in paper bags and the resultant pollen has some residual
moisture in it. Freezing also kills any moth or other larva, ants etc..

I'm interested in how to measure the moisture content and what is a
good benchmark for dryness.

I have read articles in the Bee Journal etc concerning pollen trapping
but I never felt I had a good understanding of how pollen trapping
affects the colonies life cycle and nectar collecting activities.

Any comments concerning pollen trapping would be appreciated.