From:
David De Jong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 14:38:01 -0300
On Fri, 23 Jun 1995, Peter Skrla wrote:

>  I spent more than 10 years in Africa (Sierra Leone, Malawi) working with
>  leprosy and AIDS victims. I would like to evaluate healing properties of
>  propolis on deep ulcers commonly  found in leprosy patients.
>  I would appreciate any advice on how to prepare water soluble propolis
>  extract that would be suitable for this research.
>
>  Dr. Peter Skrla, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
>  e-mail: [log in to unmask]; fax: (403) 547-3843

Here we grind up the propolis (previously cooled down) and soak it in
100% ethanol (can be pharmacy grade grain alcohol) for several weeks, mixing
once a day (or constantly with a machine).
Normally 30 g of propolis are used per 100 ml of alcohol.  At the end
the solution is filtered.  It has to be kept capped to prevent the
alcohol from evaporating.
This solution becomes a suspension when mixed with water, when someone
is going to drink it.  We use it pure on wounds, though some prefer
10 or 20 gram solutions.  It works well on skin fungus.

David De Jong
Brazil