From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:37:01 -0400
Most all of the world's food necessary to sustain life is wind
pollinated (most grains like wheat, corn, and rice). Even many fruits
and vegetables are 'self-pollinated". So even if all of the NPs touted
by the NP group left the scene, there would be food, but not enough for
the current population of the world. Lots of disease too, since there
would be vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

Pollinators can increase yields because the wind does not do that great
a job. As the Canadian GM soybean studies showed, you can get up to 30%
increase in yields with pollinators in a self-pollinated crop.

So habitat, watershed, and other aspects of hedgerows are fine. But do
not expect the added increase you get from honeybees, because it is not
a sustainable habitat for NP unless you go small and diverse and have
lots of habitat. But the NP crowd is mostly organic and that fits with
what they want from agriculture.

Only problem is, in that same study, it showed all the increase was in
the GM soy and none with the organic (which was already pollinated). The
GM crops yields were greater than the organic before pollination! The
reason was plant damage from pests in the organic fields. Which says you
can expect a 30% decrease in optimum yield from an organic field
compared to a GM field.

I have nothing against NPs, since I have many in my garden. I do have
trouble with those who tout them as if they can solve all our problems.
Especially with all the organic folk asking where they can get honeybees
after Varroa hit and the NPs did not and do not do the job. They were
getting free pollination from local honeybees.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine