From:
John A Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 1996 17:16:54 -0400
Tom and Stan,  There are three types of blueberry; high bush, low bush
and rabbiteye which I am familiar with in the South.
Highbush, I have been informed from a producer in one of the New England states, has a
corolla-petal tube that is large enough for a honey bee to enter.
Lowbush, I am not familiar with.

Rabbiteye require a Buzz from the flight muscles of a bumble bee or
Southern blueberry bee, as the bee hangs inverted on the flower, while
probing for nectar.  The vibration releases pollen from pores in the
anthers. The action can be duplicated by using a tuning fork held
against the petals. Using a piece of black velvet or other dark
background will allow you to see the small whittish pollen grains
falling from the bell-like flower.
Nectar is produced at the base of the "bell". The tongue length of a
honey bee is usually (variety differences) too short to reach the
nectar. A naive bee will try to force it's way into the tube and in
this effort is believed to pollinate. Even if it cannot buzz, the honey
bee can move pollen released by a previous "buzzer".

Stan's comments about waiting until a good part of the blueberries are in
bloom may take advantage of naive honey bees. Until they "learn" they
cannot reach the nectar, they will visit. Other sources easier to obtain food from should
draw them away quicker.

In tn, I often see perforation holes made by carpenter bees. This
short-tongued bee perforates the base of the flower to get nectar. Honey
bees will often be observed using the perforation hole made by carpenter
bees to get nectar.

Tom, in your area, bumble bees may be available? Your honey bees should
also help in total number of foragers, especially naive ones.

Grins, John

John A. Skinner           218 Ellington Hall
Extension Apiculturist    University of Tennessee
[log in to unmask]          Knoxville, TN  37901