From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:47:24 +0000
"In my opinion we are 100% responsible for bee wellfare (which includes reducing mortality rates) but we can be acounted for less than 40% of the end of season results, the other 60% or more is due to the sun, mother nature, weather, ecosystem or the way you want to call that external life offer."

Yes indeed. Here in far northern NY, survivors built up well. Now we have extended cool, wet weather that is reducing the ability of the bees to fly during the first big flow. My outyard lost all their queens recently...I don't have experience with this.  I restocked from my home yard, but there goes the honey crop.  Why?  Who can tell.  Was it the neighboring farming activities....soy was planted recently...or was it some other factor?  I don't know.  Having more than one location is certainly key to "sustainability", and I feel that those who disparage hobby beekeepers should keep this in mind.

Many hobby beekeepers end up buying "leftovers" from commercials...old junk equipment and culled queens that fetch high prices as so-called "nucs".  Or, they buy packages with inferior queens built from shook colonies that are one step ahead of collapse, surviving only due to intensive management that new beekeepers cannot duplicate because they do not have the training/information/ability yet.

Also, most hobby beekeepers don't have more than one yard.  This reduces their ability to deal with local problems using back-up support from other yards significantly.

Your hobby beekeepers help your bottom line.  Don't disparage them...HELP THEM.  Give them decent queens, decent equipment, good bees, and training where possible.

Complain about the hobby beekeepers when your good bees are sold to folks who then mismanage them.  Don't complain, when you have no facts, or when you sell your crappy stuff to hobbyists!

Christina