From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 09:36:22 -0600

Andy runs, and has run the Bee BBS (Bulletin Board System) mentioned above
for years.

With the improvement in modems and cheaper phone rates, BBSs become more
accessible to all. It takes a little learning to find out how to navigate
these resources, but many of us had our first online experiences using
them.

With experience and mdems running at high speeds, it is possible to
learn how to log on, download all the info of interest, upload any
messages in a matter of minutes, then work for hours offline before
logging on again to once again d/l and u/l.

There are usually many local BBSs (of all flavours) in any sizeable city
to learn on, but then it is time to try some of the, more interesting and
distant ones.  Most are *not* accessible from the internet AFAIK, so
direct dialing is necessary.

I tried Andy's board years ago and had problems with phone line quality
and was intimidated by phone costs and so have not perservered. I intend
to try again after I finish this note.

All that is required to connect  is a terminal program such as the one
that comes with Windows 3.1 (called 'terminal.exe' and which is found in
the c:\windows directory), or the one that comes with Windows 95 called
("C:\Program Files\Accessories\HyperTerminal\hypertrm.exe).

I believe there are some bee related BBSs in Europe too, so maybe people
will contribute the phone numbers and a bit of info on some of the bee
BBSs available.

Allen

---
Newsflash!  Visit http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/beel.htm
to search BEE-L archives the easy, easy way or to
update or change your subscription options.
---