From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 16:46:35 -0500
This is what I've been doing for quite awhile. 5-6 frames of brood, and a good
queen at the beginning of May. That's about all you need here in the northern
Champlain valley of NY and VT. Colonies with less brood than that get frames of
brood from strong colonies. This is a good time to requeen the weak ones. Any
strong colonies left at the end of the yard get split. This seems a better plan
than fighting with them all summer trying to stop swarming. Doesn't insure a
honey crop though. As Charlie Mraz says, you get a honey flow when god turns on
the faucet. I guess that must be so. In a good year, even the weak colonies
make a crop. In a bad year none of 'em do. Having a standard starting point for
a colony in your area, at a specific time in the bloom cycle should be a better
approach than waiting to see what kind of year it will be, and then trying to
play catch-up for the rest of the season. Mike